Avoid Sickness in the Home
With These Simple Steps

by Gwen Payne – September 2022

There are many ways your home can make you sick without you even realizing it. From invisible mold spores to lead in your water, several potential environmental hazards are lurking in your Minnesota home and can cause health issues from respiratory problems to neurological damage. So how can you tell if your home is making you sick? And more importantly, what can you do about it?

Check for Mold Spores

One of the most common — and dangerous — ways your home can make you sick is by harboring invisible mold spores. Mold loves damp, dark places, so bathrooms and basements are common breeding grounds for this invisible threat.

Prolonged exposure to mold spores can cause everything from respiratory problems to neurological damage, so it’s essential to keep an eye out for mold in your home. You can seek further advice from the Minnesota Department of Health.

Test for Humidity Levels

One of the most important things you can do to prevent mold growth in your home is to keep humidity levels low. Mold spores need moisture to grow and proliferate, so keeping your home’s humidity level below 60% can make it much more difficult for mold to get a foothold.

You can buy a relatively cheap hygrometer at any hardware store; check it regularly and take steps to reduce humidity levels if necessary. Some simple ways to do this include opening windows when weather permits and running a dehumidifier.

Eliminate Lead Hazards

Although lead was banned from household paint in 1978, many older Minnesota homes still have lead paint on the walls. Get your paint tested for lead content if you live in an older home. If the paint is in good condition, it poses little risk. However, if the paint is chipping or peeling, it can release lead dust into the air, which can be harmful if inhaled.

Avoid VOCs

Many building materials and household products are off-gas volatile organic compounds or VOCs, which can harm your health. Formaldehyde is one of the most common VOCs, which can be found in everything from particle board to shampoo. Prolonged exposure to formaldehyde has been linked to cancer, so it’s essential to limit your exposure as much as possible. When renovating or redecorating your home, look for low- or no-VOC products whenever possible. When using products that contain VOCs, open windows and doors to ventilate the area often.

Repair Your Window AC Unit

Your air conditioner filters out pollutants like dust, pollen, and mold spores. Sadly, when your A/C unit breaks, these contaminants can build up and make you sick. Often A/C repair is sufficient to make it last a few more years. However, if the fan motor or compressor is broken, you should probably buy a new unit. Also, if you’ve had your window A/C for over ten years, it’s time to replace it.

Always Strive for Health

Test for mold spores, eliminate lead hazards, repair your window AC, and avoid VOCs. By taking these simple steps, you can help create a healthy environment for yourself and your family and prevent any potential sickness. Visit Life’s Journey to learn more about how they can help you live a more exciting and fulfilled life.

Image via Pexels


© 2022, Gwen Payne, all rights reserved, invisiblemoms.com


To download click here:

Document Format

PDF Format

Verified by MonsterInsights